Brownies, cookies, pie are all great gifts to bring to the neighbors, but there’s something about a bag of puppy chow that says, ‘Let’s be friends!”
When we were in high school I was first introduced to puppy chow in a big plastic bag and we called the piles of sugar at the bottom cocaine. WhiskeyBeard shared a batch of this with a friend once, who Facebook friend requested me with, “You are lovely, bring puppy chow.” A year later and she’s like one my favorite people.
So if you want friends, make puppy chow. Or bring me puppy chow.
Recipe: Puppy Chow/Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups of Chex cereal (any flavor)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 gallon plastic bag (food bag or small garbage bag works too!)
It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4.
1. Measure your cereal into a big bowl, so it’s ready for later.
2. Add chocolate and peanut butter into a medium sized microwavable bowl, and uncovered on for 1 minute, then stir well. Continue to microwave in 15 second intervals until chocolate is smooth, and stir in your vanilla.
3. Pour chocolate over cereal and stir until evenly coated.
4. Fill a plastic bag with powdered sugar. Add your cereal mix and shake very well. The chocolate will absorb a lot of the powdered sugar, so if you want a really nice sugary look, keep adding the sugar until it no longer sticks.
You can store your puppy chow in the bag, or in a sealed container.